Saturday, October 18, 2003

Some thoughts on movies I saw in the past week:

  • The Decalogue: I finally finished 8, 9, and 10 this week. Actually, it was too much to absorb in one week, but I couldn't resist the urge to finally get through them. My favorites, all of which are amazing: 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, and 10. Didn't quite captivate me: 3, 4, and 7. 8 is somewhere in between. See them all for yourself and decide; you can't really go wrong with any of them. And take your time; in some sense I wasted my GreenCine membership for 2 months on these, but in another, watching them any faster would have done them a disservice. BTW, here is a nice site on Kieslowski; I especially enjoyed this overview of all of his works.

  • Kill Bill, Vol. 1: Hrm...I think there is actually a consensus feeling on this movie among the people I've discussed it with; an easy recommendation, if it wasn't for the excessive gore. Tarantino pulls everything out of his bag of tricks, and some of the camera work and shots are really amazing. And, he still has great taste in music. But, the violence is really over the top, and I just couldn't watch some of it. If you don't think that will bother you, definitely go check out the movie.

  • Auto Focus: Really disappointing. The movie was far too predictable, and it loses its momentum at the end. You just don't care enough about Bob Crane to feel bad about his downfall. Besides the sensationalistic story, I'm not sure what all the buzz was about.

No comments: