Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bill Maher Podcast with Audio Only

I listen to the podcast of Real Time with Bill Maher pretty regularly, but the feed is annoying in that it includes both audio from the show (which I want) and video excerpts (which I don't want). I made a Yahoo! Pipe that filters out the video entries; RSS (which can be used as a podcast URL) is here.

Update (1/30/2011): For some reason, the first link to the pipe doesn't actually show the recent Maher audio podcast entries, but the second link to the podcast URL works fine. To add the podcast to your podcatcher, right-click on this link and copy the URL ("Copy Link Location" in Firefox), and then add the feed to your podcatcher (in iTunes on Mac, do Advanced -> Subscribe to Podcast... and then paste the URL).

5 comments:

Cy Guy said...

Thanks for doing this, but is there a way to downsample the audio a bit? The files are still awfully big, and don't really need to be better than 64kbs and you have them as 192kbs - making an hour long show 75Mb.

Unknown said...

Hi Cy Guy,

My feed is just extracting the audio entries from the official Bill Maher podcast; I don't create the audio files (HBO does). I don't know of an online service that will downsample and host the audio (at least not for free). You might be able to set up your podcast sync software to do the downsampling before sending to your listening device, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that either. Sorry!

Cy Guy said...

I was afraid that might the case, but thanks anyway. Tranferring to my iPod isn't the problem, and yes I could downsample it at that time. The problem is I only have DSL so a 75Mb file can take 10 minutes to download.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael H said...

Thank you